Thursday, August 16, 2012

Breck Epic




I am going to make this brief, because time is valuable in stage racing. 
 
This week’s Breck Epic has been such a great experience! From the great folks participating in and everyone running the event to the great trails and vistas I get to see every day.  And this is from a guy who lives here.
The week started out with a bang, literally, from a tore sidewall. I was able to boot the tire and limp ten miles to the next aid.  Needless to say I lost a good chunk of time.  A little disheartening when that is the second year I have had a mechanical on day one.  

Day two also had its share of strangeness.  One thing that rarely happens here is for it to rain all day, but on this day it did just that.  I also had to battle with a flatting tire, that I was able to fill and get to hold after my third stop. Other than that it was a ripping fast ride on some of my favorite trails. 
 
Day three you really start feeling the effects of stage racing.  Recovery is key in the high altitude.  Eating right, massage, lots of water and rest are a must. I felt I was doing a good job, but the miles were still catching up with me.

Supposedly day four and five are the queen stages, but after doing this race twice.  I have to say day three and four by far the hardest.  I suffered through both days, but still managed to finish in the top ten on both days.

Today on day five I was pleased to find my legs coming back around and was able to give this course all I had.  The previous time I had raced this course I had a rough day and I had redemption on my mind.  From the gun I gave it my all and did my best to keep my buddy Nick Truitt in sight.  Only after the top did I lose contact. That guys falls like a rock with his full sus Yeti. I eneded up 9th on the stage and am 9th on the GC, although my good buddy Jake Wells is in the hunt as are a handful of others looking for time.  Better bring it tomorrow!

All in all a great Breck Epic!  I am sitting in 9th on the GC, have consistently finished in the top ten and am enjoying the hell out of racing in my home town, with my buddies and making new friends and having a good ole time with sore legs.



No comments:

Post a Comment