Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Glimpse of the Top


In 2013 I have been reluctant to post any race reports, mostly because of the lack of quality racing.

It’s not that I wouldn’t love to be racing and doing well, it’s just that last winter I had a little “JRA” incident. 

“Just Riding Along” incidents are the worst.  Your guard is down and you’re not expecting the smack down to come.

My “JRA” incident happened to be snowboarding on Christmas Day.  I clipped a small treetop that sent me flying into the trees.  Luckily I was able to tuck and roll and avoid a head injury.  I was not able to avoid the trees though and I ended up with a fractured back in five places. That hurt!

Needless to say my fitness and mountain bike-racing season has had a bit of a damper put on it. However, I consider myself quite lucky that I have been able to ride for a couple months now and the fitness is coming around.  In fact I had a glimpse of the old me the other night. I am looking forward to seeing some more glimpses in the weeks and months to come.

Speaking of glimpses. I got a chance to step on the top of the podium with a 1st place finish in the team competition at the Breck 100.  I have to say it wouldn’t have been possible without the speed of my good buddies Dax Massey and Nate Miller.  Finally, a little something to write about with a glimpse of what is to come.

In the Breck 100 there are three unique laps and I got the honor to go first.

 I can’t say my lap started out all that great, but I managed to turn it around towards the top of the first big climb. I found myself behind my friend Sonya Looney and I followed her up the last ‘hike a bike” section.  At the top of Wheeler Pass I quickly made myself around a large group of riders and made my way down the treacherous Wheeler downhill. Racers were littered off the trail everywhere and I found myself go from about 30th to the top 15. Rains made this year even more treacherous the night before. A little local knowledge on this trail goes a long way.

The Peaks Trail back to Breckenridge was next and it’s always so fun, no matter which way you ride it. I soon found myself catching a few more people on the way to meet my Honey Stinger/Light and Motion – AKA “Team Fun” Teammates.

Looking at the clock, I knew my finish time for lap 1 from the previous year. Last year I had raced the Breck 100 solo and there was no way I was going to be close to last years lap one time.  I just was hoping to be close to the other teams. Luckily I was only 4 minutes behind the first place team. 

Nate sped out for his first lap and promptly took the lead.  With a few carrots to chase, Nate ended up in 4th overall at the end of his lap.

We had set a goal of winning the overall and Dax had some fast dudes to catch. Nick Truitt, Josh Tostado and Ben Sonntag were out in front of Dax and catching those guys would not be easy. Even after they had been racing for seventy miles.

The third lap didn’t treat many people well with rain setting in and making it pretty miserable out on course. Slippery conditions, lightning, cold hands and soggy roads are just a few of the discomforts you encounter on a day like this.

Dax managed to catch Nick, but ended up just a couple minutes behind the Josh and Ben, who thrillingly finished nine seconds apart.

I am sure with a little more healing and fitness from myself an overall would have been a possibility, but a win is a win and that’s something to build on!

Just got to watch out for those “JRA” incidents.

Thanks to my sponsors- Honey Stinger/ Bontrager, Trek Bikes, Light and Motion, Stan’s No Tubes, Infinit Nutrition, Kep’s Balls and Wilderness Sports.






No comments:

Post a Comment