Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fueling Addiction and Drive

Fueling Addiction and Drive 

 

Damn the Breck 100 is a hard race!  I have been dragging ass the last two days, but with a massage last night, some good food, and a light ride this morning, I almost feel right again.

The race itself is damn hard physically, but you go through so many highs and lows out on the course that you also get a little fried mentally.  Add in all the highs and fun of post race and it’s no wonder why I felt like a truck drove over me on Monday and Tuesday.

I may have to remember that next year, so I don’t chase customers off with my grumpy blown attitude.  The fact that my business has way too many stairs from my office to the sales floor definitely doesn’t help.  I don’t think I could have walked them much slower.

That is a little window into how I have felt the last couple days -- post Breck 100.




I will say again that the Breck 100 is a damn hard race!  It was not until last year that I even brought myself to think of sitting in the saddle for nine to ten hours.  Most people would think that is plain crazy. To be honest, this year I thought to myself on more than one occasion that next year, maybe the 68, is a better choice…. But with the 68 you don’t get the whole experience, with Wheeler at sunrise and oh yeah the suffering at mile 85 up Boreas…. That was kinda uncomfortable!  But really the first loop is a must, as are all the loops and yes, even the suffering.

Even with the discomfort I went through this year, I am already thinking about doing it again next year and trying to shave more time off this year’s finish.  I guess it is a little addicting. Maybe I still have some dragons to slay!

It's not that I am not content with this year's finish. I am damn happy with a 7th place finish, shaving 24 minutes off of last year's time, riding a clean race, feeling great up Wheeler, keeping the leaders in sight and riding my way to a great finish. It’s just the competitor in me will always want to conquer new goals. I guess that is the real addiction -- trying to better yourself one way or the other.

In fact the last two months have been quite successful. With a 3rd place at our local series, a much faster time at the Crested Butte Fat Tire 40, a 12th place overall at the Firecracker 50 and now a sub-nine Breck 100, I couldn’t be happier. These positive events just fuel more addiction and drive!

Thanks to all my sponsors- Santa Cruz Bikes, Honey Stinger, Stan’s No Tubes, Schwalbe Tires, Infinit Nutrition, Formula Brakes, Kep’s Pollen Balls and Light and Motion.

Thanks for helping fuel ride!

 



 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment