Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Transylvanian Road Race


Transylvanian Road Race
The third stage of the Transylvania Epic had been dubbed a road stage from most of the seasoned TSE racers.  Now it did have a lot of road and some single track, but that by all means did not mean it was easy.
From the start we formed a large lead group and with multiple surges, more and more people were getting shed off the back.  I managed to hang on the first twenty miles or so, with my second place GC competitor under my watchful eye. I would have to follow his moves for the rest of the week and he mine, except the only thing I would have to do is follow.
For the first half of the race I managed to keep a good game plan and mark the moves of Jonathan Davis, the second place GC threat.  At some point I decided to come through and take a few pulls on some sections. A seasoned stage racer with a lead may not have advised, but I had decided I wanted to race.  Not sure if that was the best idea, but I also wanted to test my competitor a bit.
Jonathan matched my every move today and myself his for the most part, with the exception of a powerful attack on the last climb which gapped me by a few seconds and then on the final decent a tree branch wound up stuck in my rear derailleur and I found myself finishing second, down by twenty six seconds.  A little bad luck, but you never know what would have happened if I would have covered that move.
My GC was still safe, but I had lost some valuable time, by not responding quickly enough to an attack. I am sure there will be more to come; I had better act fast and keep a wheel!
This stage was quite road race for sure, with some great single track mixed in, a tunnel and some beautiful vistas.  The whole race was thrilling and the wheel to wheel competition in this stage is something I will not forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment