Monday, May 28, 2012

Riders in the Rocks


Riders in the Rocks

For the first big taste of some big miles in Pennsylvania, we are all in for a treat.  Some super slippery single track that had me wondering if I really knew how to ride a bike.  At least for me there was little traction and as soon as you got off line it was over.  This meant a good section of hike a bike!
Then once that section ended we rode a ridge line with almost as slippery of rocks, and after being shell shocked from the hike a bike section I was having trouble getting my groove on and I started losing some time to my competitors.
At the first aid I had a competitor in sight and as I crested the top of a rise I could see him enter a single track, but as I got closer I could not make out where the trail was and missed it and had to double back to get on course.  This made chase a little harder than I should of, through the lush over growing vegetation and all of a sudden I was doing a slow motion OTB.  I hit so damn hard I thought I broke my bike and to my surprise I was ok.  Maybe it was the water bottle I landed on that cushioned my fall.  When I went to grab my bike, something was wrong as I grabbed a handful of brake and nothing was there.  Then I noticed my rear wheel had popped off and was out of the drop outs.  Now I had another problem, brake discs closed on each other. 
I managed to get them apart with my multi tool and got on my way.  I was soon riding with some local boys who were showing me how to ride some slick technical PA rocks.  “Keep it smooth one told me many a time before he left me to have a little fun.
After getting through those rocky sections and one more time where my wheel came loose (I cranked my skewer down super tight after that). We exited onto some fire roads and double track sections, where I was able to gather my wits and get concentrated on getting back in the race.
A few miles later I started catching glimpses of one of my competitors and I started to push it on the climbs to get the catch.  A few miles later I was passing him and speeding to the finish.
I had thought I was in second as Kenny was up in front at the beginning of the race, but the Stan’s crew had asked what I had done with Kenny, and that made me wonder.
I rolled in eight overall and had actually won the stage for the 40+ division.  Kenny had missed a turn, super bummer! This also put me in first on the GC for the 40+ men.  Pretty stoked about that! Got to keep the rubber side down and ride a safe race in the next five days to come!
Again big shout out to McCormack and the Breck Epic for helping me get here!  Big shout out to Stan’s No Tubes, Mike Bush and Rich Oneil for te stellar support.  Thanks again guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment